Here are some useful tips for keeping your refrigerator ice and water dispenser clean and sanitary. It is recommended to clean the refrigerator ice and water dispenser every 3 months or more often as needed.
- Wear protective gloves and face covering. Turn off the ice/water supply valve behind the refrigerator. Unplug the refrigerator.
- Clean the outside of the refrigerator and ice/water dispensing area with a non-abrasive cleaning agent to remove visible dirt and mold. Make sure to clean up inside the ice dispensing chute and around the water dispense tube itself as bacteria and mold frequently live here.
- Thoroughly spray the outside of the ice/water dispenser, up inside the ice chute and around the water dispense tube with an alcohol-based cleaner having a minimum 60% concentration and wipe clean. Household bleach may also be used (unless not recommended by the manufacturer) mixed at a ratio of 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water.
- Remove the ice maker bin/auger and dump all ice.
- Repeat Step #2 inside the ice maker bin by lightly scrubbing all visible internal parts, walls and bottom of ice bin to remove any dirt or mold. Rinse thoroughly with clean water. Most refrigerator ice makers are dishwasher safe if a more thorough cleaning is desired.
- Use a manufacturer-approved water filter and change every 6-12 months or as recommended by the manufacturer or local service provider.
- Plug the refrigerator back in and turn water supply valve on prior to use.
Please contact Metro Pure Water at 833-PURE-ICE (787-3423) should you have questions or need assistance.
Thank you and stay clean!