Here are some useful tips for keeping your 5-gallon bottle water cooler clean and sanitary. It is recommended to clean the water cooler every 3 months or more often as needed.
- Wear protective gloves and face covering.
- Clean the outside of water cooler with a soap-based cleaning agent to remove visible dirt and mold. Make sure to clean up inside the water dispense spout(s) as bacteria and mold frequently live here.
- Thoroughly spray the outside of the water cooler with an alcohol-based sanitizer having a minimum 60% concentration and wipe clean. Household bleach may also be used (unless not recommended by the manufacturer) mixed at a ratio of 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water.
- Unplug the electrical cord and remove the water bottle from the water cooler. Drain tank(s). Take precaution if draining from hot tank!
- Remove any internal components and repeat Step #2 inside the water tank by lightly scrubbing all visible internal parts, walls and bottom of tank to remove any dirt or mold. Rinse thoroughly with clean water and drain tank(s).
- Repeat Step #3 inside the water tank. Wait 5-10 minutes then rinse thoroughly. Drain tank(s).
- Always clean the outside of the water bottle prior to installing on the cooler. Clean pump tube if using a bottom-load water cooler.
- Make sure to thoroughly wash hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds prior to reinstalling water bottle. Install and fill tank(s).
Please contact Metro Pure Water at 833-PURE-ICE (787-3423) should you have questions or need assistance.
Thank you and stay clean!